WriteUps By Prof. Dr. K. Kanakavalli
WHO (World Health Organisation), had announced Covid-19 (SARS-CoV-2) outbreak as a Pandemic on 11 March 2020. Subsequently,Central Council for research in Siddha (CCRS), under the Ministry of Ayush headed by Hon’ble Prof. Dr. K. Kanakavalli, Director General, has been in forefront accelerating their health professionals and expedited the research to find solutions in Pandemic through Traditional Siddha System of Medicine. A team of Scientists and Director and In-charge of Siddha Central Research Institute (SCRI), had planned accordingly and conducted research by undertaking various clinical trial research projects funded by Ministry of Ayush, Govt. of India with various collaborating centres of State government. Several clinical trial research projects were completed, successfully, paving to stand-out in the International Research community and to be at cutting-edge research in the field of Siddha medicine, one among the Traditional systems of medicine. Further, to mention that these timely initiatives will make our potential of Siddha System of Medicine well-recognised in the global arena. Enumerated below in detail:
1. A prospective, Non-randomized, Open -label Controlled Interventional study on the effect of Siddha intervention, Kaba Sura Kudineer (KSK) as a Prophylactic measure among high risk population (Health Care Workers/Containment Zone population) exposed to COVID-19 (SIDDHALION).
2. A prospective, single centre, randomized open labelled comparative clinical study to evaluate the effectiveness of Siddha medicine, Kabasura Kudineer and vitamin c-zinc supplementation in the management of asymptomatic COVID 19 patients at Government Stanley Medical College.
3. A randomized,open labelled clinical study to compare the effectiveness of Kabasura Kudineer and Vitamin-C Zinc supplementation in the management of asymptomatic SARS-CoV-2 patients at Govt. Theni medical college.
4. Retrospective Survival analysis to assess the length of stay of novel coronavirus (COVID-19) patients in GMC & ESIH Coimbatore who were under- Integrated Medicine -Zinc, Vitamin C & Kabasura Kudineer (ZVcKK).
5. Assessment of prophylaxis offered to frontline workers who has involved themselves in war footing of COVID – 19 in Tamilnadu who are taking Siddha interventions like Nilavembu Kudineer/Kabasura Kudineer.
6. Awareness and practices regarding COVID-19 related prevention, control and promotive measures among population, Tamil Nadu, India: Cross-sectional study.
7. A prospective, non-randomized, single-arm interventional study to assess the safety and efficacy of Siddha Sasthric Medicines – Fixed Regimen in the prevention of COVID-19 disease progression of asymptomatic, and mild at Siddha COVID Care Centre, Chennai, 2020 (SSM-FiRe).
8. Clinical validation of the “Immune booster” potential of the Siddha medicine drug, Kabasura kudineer (KSK) in asymptomatic contacts of COVID-19 cases: a controlled clinical trial at Sri Ramachandra Institute of Higher Studies, Chennai.